Nearly 700 bags of heroin hidden under 5-year-oldFebruary 02,2014By Josh O'Gorman
WESTMINSTER - A Springfield woman was jailed after police said they found nearly 700 bags of heroin beneath her child's car seat.
Eugenia Emerson, 33, is facing a felony charge of heroin trafficking after police stopped her on Interstate 91 Saturday night for what they described as defective equipment and a lane violation.
While stopped, police walked a canine unit around the exterior of the car, and when the dog signaled there were drugs inside, Emerson gave police permission to search her car, police said.
According to police, they found 690 bags of heroin under the cushion where her 5-year-old child was seated.
Emerson was taken to Springfield jail on $5,000 bail. She was free as of Sunday afternoon, according to the Department of Corrections.
Emerson is scheduled to appear March 18 in Brattleboro criminal court. Police also issued her tickets for defective equipment and a lane violation.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?