Vt. woman gets deferred sentence in arson caseJanuary 29,2014The Associated Press
NEWPORT — A Vermont woman has pleaded guilty to burning down a campsite in retaliation against a drug informant.
Twenty-one-year-old Rebecca Ray of Barton received a three-year deferred sentence Tuesday in Orleans Superior Court.
Ray was accused of setting fire to an unoccupied camp last summer in Brownington that belonged to a witness in a federal prosecution. Ray believed the man gave federal authorities information regarding drug sales involving her now-husband, Matthew Prue, who was arrested on a drug charge and faces sentencing in March, the Caledonian Record reports.
As part of Ray’s plea agreement, a count of intimidating a witness in a federal prosecution was dismissed. Her sentence includes community service.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?