BRATTLEBORO — A 47-year-old woman from the central Vermont town of Berlin has pleaded guilty in federal court to embezzling funds both from her employer and from a youth hockey league.
Michelle Rutledge pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Brattleboro to wire fraud. Authorities say she embezzled money from the Cold Hollow Cider Mill in Waterbury, where she worked as office manager and bookkeeper, and from the Harwood Youth Hockey Association, where she served as treasurer.
In both cases, authorities said Rutledge stole substantial sums by using credit cards without authorization, and by using her employer’s and the hockey group’s money to pay personal expenses.
According to the U.S. attorney’s office, the amount taken from the two organizations totaled about $120,000. Gregory Waples, the assistant U.S. attorney who is prosecuting the case, couldn’t say Tuesday how much was taken from each organization.
Waples also wouldn’t say what kind of sentence his office was seeking; he said he wanted to wait for the pre-sentence investigation to be completed before weighing in on the matter.
She will be sentenced at a later date.MORE IN Vermont NewsCOLCHESTER — A bunch of kids in a minivan are solving twin challenges in northern Vermont:... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.