Vt. labor judge accused of embezzlementThe Associated Press | January 24,2014MONTPELIER - An administrative law judge in Vermont has been accused of embezzling money from Montpelier's farmers markets, of which she was treasurer.
Ileen McGurran, who presides over unemployment claims at the Vermont Department of Labor, is accused of taking less than $1,500 from the Capital City Farmers Market, where her farm McGurran Bee Farm, was also a vendor.
McGurran tells Vermont Public Radio the money has been paid back. She declined to comment further until she spoke with her attorney.
An email sent to members of the farmers market accuses her of forging checks and embezzling money.
The market's board of directors said they've turned the case over to Montpelier police and replaced McGurran as treasurer.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.