Vt. police to search river for missing manThe Associated Press | January 24,2014Vermont State Police searching for a man who was last seen over the weekend are planning to expand their search to the Mettawee River.
Jonathan Schaff was last seen Saturday walking east on Route 149 near the New York/Vermont state line.
His cellphone was found in an abandoned vehicle in West Pawlet.
The river is not far from Granville, N.Y., where police said Schaff was involved in a bar fight before walking away. The state police scuba team will search the river when weather and water conditions are deemed safe by the team commander.
Schaff is 6 feet tall, weighs 170 pounds and has brown hair and blue eyes, was possibly wearing a gray-hooded sweatshirt and/or dark brown Carhartt jacket with dark pants and brown workboots.MORE IN This Just InJust days before his crusade with cancer was lost, Sgt. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.