Vt disaster group gets new leaderThe Associated Press | January 15,2014MONTPELIER — The organization that oversees a private Vermont disaster relief fund has a new chairman.
The Vermont Long Term Disaster Recovery Group says that Chris Graff has succeeded David Coates, who was named to lead the panel by Gov. Peter Shumlin shortly after Tropical Storm Irene hit Vermont in August 2011.
Since Irene, the fund has raised more than $7 million to meet the unmet needs of disaster survivors — after federal and state assistance, private insurance, aid from regional and local recovery groups, and private foundations.
The group provided assistance to about 400 cases from 2011 flooding and an additional 20 cases stemming from 2013 flooding. A number of Irene-related cases remain pending. The fund will remain in place for future disasters.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.