Vt disaster group gets new leaderThe Associated Press | January 15,2014MONTPELIER — The organization that oversees a private Vermont disaster relief fund has a new chairman.
The Vermont Long Term Disaster Recovery Group says that Chris Graff has succeeded David Coates, who was named to lead the panel by Gov. Peter Shumlin shortly after Tropical Storm Irene hit Vermont in August 2011.
Since Irene, the fund has raised more than $7 million to meet the unmet needs of disaster survivors — after federal and state assistance, private insurance, aid from regional and local recovery groups, and private foundations.
The group provided assistance to about 400 cases from 2011 flooding and an additional 20 cases stemming from 2013 flooding. A number of Irene-related cases remain pending. The fund will remain in place for future disasters.MORE IN This Just InSki area operators in Vermont and across northern New England were giddy Wednesday at the... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.