Vt disaster group gets new leaderThe Associated Press | January 15,2014MONTPELIER ó The organization that oversees a private Vermont disaster relief fund has a new chairman.
The Vermont Long Term Disaster Recovery Group says that Chris Graff has succeeded David Coates, who was named to lead the panel by Gov. Peter Shumlin shortly after Tropical Storm Irene hit Vermont in August 2011.
Since Irene, the fund has raised more than $7 million to meet the unmet needs of disaster survivors ó after federal and state assistance, private insurance, aid from regional and local recovery groups, and private foundations.
The group provided assistance to about 400 cases from 2011 flooding and an additional 20 cases stemming from 2013 flooding. A number of Irene-related cases remain pending. The fund will remain in place for future disasters.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.