BURLINGTON — Vermont officials say a co-leader of a heroin distribution ring that sold a potent form of the drug around Burlington has been sentenced to more than 13 years in prison.
Chandara “Po” Sam, of Lowell, Mass., was sentenced Monday for conspiracy to distribute at least 100 grams of heroin between 2011 and 2013.
U.S. District Court Judge William K. Sessions III rejected Sam’s request to fire his lawyer after hearing testimony from one of Sam’s conspirators, who testified for the government.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Christina Nolan said Sam helped set up the operation to transport the drugs from Chicago to Vermont through Lowell, Mass.
Police say several people overdosed on the heroin.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Vermont has tied for third place in the 2014 energy efficiency scorecard put out by... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.