BURLINGTON-The wife of a Burlington man who was fatally shot by police in November has implored the city and police department to review policies about responding to mental health crisis situations.
Barbara Brunette testified before the City Council on Monday that there's not enough help for the mental health community.
Brunette's husband, Wayne Brunette, who had a history of mental illness, was shot by police outside of his home on Nov. 6. Police responded to the home on a report that the 49-year-old Brunette was acting irrationally and destroying property. He was shot during a confrontation in which police said he was wielding a shovel. The two responding officers were cleared in December.
The Council is considering a resolution asking police to review mental health response procedures.MORE IN Vermont NewsCOLCHESTER — The Lake Champlain Chamber Music Festival opened Sunday with one of the most... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.