Police report several crashes on icy roads, one involving trooperThe Associated Press | December 26,2013MONTPELIER - Vermont State Police are urging drivers to be extremely careful on Interstate 89, where ice has caused several accidents, including one involving a state trooper.
Trooper Ben Katz was heading south on Interstate 89 when his cruiser went off the road in Williston, flipped over and landed wheels down in the median. He was taken to the hospital as a precaution.
Meanwhile, about 600 people remain without power following the ice storm that hit the region over the weekend.
The Vermont Electric Coop reported about 740 customers without power Thursday afternoon. The company estimates most repairs will made by late Thursday night.
The website VToutages.com also reports about 275 outages among customers of the Enosburg Falls Water and Light Department and 15 among Green Mountain Power customers.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.