Two people killed in Route 118 crashDecember 20,2013EDEN — A head-on crash in northern Vermont claimed two lives Thursday.
Vermont State Police said Francis Valley, 68, of Barton was driving on Route 118 near the intersection of Knowles Flat Road when his 2011 Ford Transit collided head-on with a 1998 Ford Ranger driven by Michael Palchak, 51, of Bakersfield.
Valley was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. His passenger, Shirlee Krajniak, 53, was taken to Fletcher Allen hospital in Burlington and later died from her injuries.
Palchak was also taken to Fletcher Allen and was listed in stable condition Thursday night, police said.
The crash is under investigation and anyone with information is asked to call state police at 635-7036.MORE IN This Just InBy George V. Nostrand Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Julius Caesar dedicates a temple to his mythical ancestor, Venus Genetrix; on this day in 1933, FBI agents in Memphis, Tennessee, arrest Machine Gun Kelly; Yves Rossi flies the English Channel with home-made jet-pack.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1852, Henri Giffard demonstrates the first steam-powered airship, sailing 17 miles from Paris to Trappes; on this day in 1877, Japanese imperial troops crush the Satsuma Rebellion, Saigo Takamori dies in Kagoshima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: U.S. Rep. Peter Welch meets with Killington business owners, governor candidates debate, Gov. Shumlin discusses progress in anti-opiate campaign, Spanos trial venue moves to White River Junction.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1776, as Nathan Hale is hanged by British military authorities for spying, he utters his famous last words — or does he? In 1975, Sara Jane Moore attempts to kill President Gerald R. Ford in San Francisco.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Patrick McArdle reports and the theft of an $89,000 shotgun, police release a video of the Monday Castleton robbery, O'Gorman reports a lawsuit by a local man claiming his vehicle unlawfully seized, police leave him in cold.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Giles Corey of Salem, Mass., is pressed to death during the Salem witch trials; on this day in 1952, film comedian Charlie Chaplin, while traveling to England, is denied re-entry into the United States by U.S. attorney general.