Two people killed in Route 118 crashDecember 20,2013EDEN — A head-on crash in northern Vermont claimed two lives Thursday.
Vermont State Police said Francis Valley, 68, of Barton was driving on Route 118 near the intersection of Knowles Flat Road when his 2011 Ford Transit collided head-on with a 1998 Ford Ranger driven by Michael Palchak, 51, of Bakersfield.
Valley was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. His passenger, Shirlee Krajniak, 53, was taken to Fletcher Allen hospital in Burlington and later died from her injuries.
Palchak was also taken to Fletcher Allen and was listed in stable condition Thursday night, police said.
The crash is under investigation and anyone with information is asked to call state police at 635-7036.MORE IN This Just InBy Erin Mansfield Full StoryThe Associated Press Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.