Two people killed in Route 118 crashDecember 20,2013EDEN — A head-on crash in northern Vermont claimed two lives Thursday.
Vermont State Police said Francis Valley, 68, of Barton was driving on Route 118 near the intersection of Knowles Flat Road when his 2011 Ford Transit collided head-on with a 1998 Ford Ranger driven by Michael Palchak, 51, of Bakersfield.
Valley was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. His passenger, Shirlee Krajniak, 53, was taken to Fletcher Allen hospital in Burlington and later died from her injuries.
Palchak was also taken to Fletcher Allen and was listed in stable condition Thursday night, police said.
The crash is under investigation and anyone with information is asked to call state police at 635-7036.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.