Two people killed in Route 118 crashDecember 20,2013EDEN — A head-on crash in northern Vermont claimed two lives Thursday.
Vermont State Police said Francis Valley, 68, of Barton was driving on Route 118 near the intersection of Knowles Flat Road when his 2011 Ford Transit collided head-on with a 1998 Ford Ranger driven by Michael Palchak, 51, of Bakersfield.
Valley was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. His passenger, Shirlee Krajniak, 53, was taken to Fletcher Allen hospital in Burlington and later died from her injuries.
Palchak was also taken to Fletcher Allen and was listed in stable condition Thursday night, police said.
The crash is under investigation and anyone with information is asked to call state police at 635-7036.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Tibetans' ability to breathe and absorb oxygen at high altitude might have been inherited from their ancient ancestors, our new pals, the Denisovans, more dominant in their day than anybody can remember.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald Editor Rob Mitchell and staff writer Bryanna Allen discuss conflict at Open Door Mission, MSJ's new principal, teens carve marble in West Rutland.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,