Two people killed in Route 118 crashDecember 20,2013EDEN — A head-on crash in northern Vermont claimed two lives Thursday.
Vermont State Police said Francis Valley, 68, of Barton was driving on Route 118 near the intersection of Knowles Flat Road when his 2011 Ford Transit collided head-on with a 1998 Ford Ranger driven by Michael Palchak, 51, of Bakersfield.
Valley was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. His passenger, Shirlee Krajniak, 53, was taken to Fletcher Allen hospital in Burlington and later died from her injuries.
Palchak was also taken to Fletcher Allen and was listed in stable condition Thursday night, police said.
The crash is under investigation and anyone with information is asked to call state police at 635-7036.MORE IN This Just InRICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott uploads astronomic,historic and epigrammatic data... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.