Vt. brewery also faced permit complicationsThe Associated Press | November 24,2013WATERBURY - A popular Vermont craft beer brewery that closed its retail shop in Waterbury last week citing too much traffic also had pressures to update a state permit.
Clancy DeSmet, regional coordinator for the Vermont Natural Resources Board, says the Alchemist Brewery's Act 250 land-use permit did not allow a retail operation.
She says the Alchemist needed to amend a permit condition if it wanted the public to come there and buy beer.
But owner John Kimmich told Vermont Public Radio that he didn't know that when he opened the cannery.
He says he only realized this summer that the permit needed to updated. But he says with the growing popularity, the brewery couldn't handle the traffic anyway so it made more sense to shut down the retail operation.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.