Vt. brewery also faced permit complicationsThe Associated Press | November 24,2013WATERBURY - A popular Vermont craft beer brewery that closed its retail shop in Waterbury last week citing too much traffic also had pressures to update a state permit.
Clancy DeSmet, regional coordinator for the Vermont Natural Resources Board, says the Alchemist Brewery's Act 250 land-use permit did not allow a retail operation.
She says the Alchemist needed to amend a permit condition if it wanted the public to come there and buy beer.
But owner John Kimmich told Vermont Public Radio that he didn't know that when he opened the cannery.
He says he only realized this summer that the permit needed to updated. But he says with the growing popularity, the brewery couldn't handle the traffic anyway so it made more sense to shut down the retail operation.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.