Vt. brewery also faced permit complicationsThe Associated Press | November 24,2013WATERBURY - A popular Vermont craft beer brewery that closed its retail shop in Waterbury last week citing too much traffic also had pressures to update a state permit.
Clancy DeSmet, regional coordinator for the Vermont Natural Resources Board, says the Alchemist Brewery's Act 250 land-use permit did not allow a retail operation.
She says the Alchemist needed to amend a permit condition if it wanted the public to come there and buy beer.
But owner John Kimmich told Vermont Public Radio that he didn't know that when he opened the cannery.
He says he only realized this summer that the permit needed to updated. But he says with the growing popularity, the brewery couldn't handle the traffic anyway so it made more sense to shut down the retail operation.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.