Strong winds knock out power in VermontStaff Report | November 24,2013High winds and fallen tree limbs knocked out electricity to more than 2,700 Green Mountain Power customers Sunday.
The winds, with constant speeds of 15 mph and 25 mph and gusts as strong as 50 mph, knocked out power to more than 600 customers in Hartford, as well as hundreds of others from Springfield, Chester, Mount Holly and Grafton.
Dorothy Schnure, a spokeswoman for GMP, said she expects power would be restored to Hartford by 6 p.m., and hoped to restore power to other locations by midnight.
Sunday, The National Weather Service issued a high-wind advisory for nearly all of Vermont through 10 p.m.
Schnure said GMP has 25 2-person line crews out in the field, as well as a handful of crews to trim trees.
Customers can follow outages online at wss.greenmountainpower.com/customers/outages.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.