Dorothy L. ConnorsNovember 23,2013Dorothy L. Connors
WALLINGFORD — Dorothy Louise Nadeau Connors of Wallingford, Vermont, passed away November 15, 2013, at St. Vincent’s Hospital, Jacksonville, Florida, following a brief illness.
Dorothy Louise Nadeau Connors was born May 16, 1921, to Iva Dell Lewis Nadeau and Virgil Joseph Nadeau of Dorset, Vermont.
Dorothy married Martin J. Connors on September 25, 1937, starting their married life in East Dorset, Vt., moving to Wallingford, Vt., in the early 1940’s, where she and Martin raised their 6 children.
Migration to Florida started with their oldest daughter, Elizabeth; followed by Martin Jr. and over the following years, all of Dorothy’s living children eventually moved south. Dorothy enjoyed many years of travel from her home in Vermont to spend winters visiting her children and grandchildren in Florida and North Carolina. Dorothy was photographed by Life magazine for the January 18, 1943, magazine article, “Life Rides the Route of a Rural Mailman,” featuring the popular book “Rural Free Delivery.”
Dorothy is survived by her children: Elizabeth Pruitt of Jacksonville, Fl; Martin J. Connors Jr. and his wife, Donna of Jacksonville, Fl; Constance McGee and her husband, David of Sun City Center, Fl; Donald J. Connors of Morganton, NC; and Shirlene White and her husband, Lee of Chapel Hill, NC.
Dorothy is also survived by her grandchildren: Suzanne Szuromi of Virginia, Audra Pruitt of Jacksonville, Fl, Sonny Pruitt of Jacksonville, Fl, Jeanne Thompson of Middleburg, Fl, Nancy Mazur of Jacksonville, Fl, Martin Connors III of Jacksonville, Fl., David Mcgee Jr. of Belmont, Vt., Tonya Weight of Germany, Traci Hilliard of Sun City Center, Fl, Thera Blehar of Baltimore, Md., Erynn Connors of Rutland, Vt., and Amanda White of Chapel Hill, NC.
Dorothy’s great-grandchildren: Christopher Szuromi, Lizzie Pannell, Priscilla Pannell, Savannah Pannell, Roman Pruitt, Valkyri Pruitt, Valor Pruitt, Nicholette Dixon, Zachery Weight, Jace Blehar, Sophia Blehar, Constance McClintock, Jonathan Mazur, Anna McGee. Dorothy’s great-great grandson: Sebastian McClintock.
Dorothy was predeceased by her husband, Martin J. Connors Sr.; her daughter, Marjorie Connors; grandson, Joshua Pannell; brothers, Richard Nadeau and Joseph Nadeau; and her sister, Pricilla Seifert.
A memorial will be held at St. Jerome’s in East Dorset, Vermont, at a future date.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.