GMP's Energy Innovation Center opens downtownStaff Report | November 20,2013Green Mountain Power's Energy Innovation Center officially opened Wednesday.
The former Eastman's building on Merchants Row had been described as one of the most blighted properties in the city, and the utility launched a yearlong renovation effort after buying it in 2012.
The building includes offices for GMP, Efficiency Vermont and Neighborworks of Western Vermont as well as an education center in the front of the building.
The education center includes interactive displays on renewable power generation and distribution as well as an animatronic cow that talks about GMP's "Cow Power" program.
The building also integrates a number of effeciency and renewable energy technologies.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.