Elaine GilbertNovember 18,2013
Elaine GilbertElaine Gilbert
FAIR HAVEN — Elaine Gilbert, 90, of Fair Haven, died Saturday evening, November 16, 2013, at her home.
She was born on August 13, 1923, in Beacon, N.Y., the daughter of Eugene and Delphine (Frederick) Cadmus.
Mrs. Gilbert graduated from Beacon High School in 1941, Plattsburgh State College in 1945. She did her graduate work at the University of Vermont.
She married James A. Gilbert on July 13, 1946, in Beacon, N.Y.
Mrs. Gilbert taught in Bedford Hills, N.Y., Brandon, Vt., and Ann Arbor, Mich. She taught home economics at the Fair Haven Union High School from 1953 until her retirement in 1973.
She was a member of the Rutland County Retired Teachers Association, Vermont State Retired Teachers Association and Our Lady of Seven Dolors Church, where she served as a Eucharist minister. She was also a member of the Castleton Woman’s Club.
Mrs. Gilbert served the Town of Fair Haven on the board of civil authority, as a justice of the peace, planning committee member and as the town auditor. She also served the County of Rutland as the treasurer of the Superior Court for 14 years.
She was a volunteer at Rutland Regional Medical Center for many years.
She is survived by her two sons and their families: her son, Dr. James Gilbert Jr. (Gina Burelli) of Blackstone, Mass., his daughter, Rebecca (Todd) Davis and great-grandchildren Kylie and Zachary of Poultney, Vt., and his sons, Timothy J. Gilbert, Thomas Gilbert and Benjamin Gilbert, all of Sutton, Mass., Christopher Swan of Edgewater, N.J., and Sydni Burelli of Blackstone, Mass.; her son, Timothy (Tami) Gilbert of Castleton, Vt., and their children, Sara Gilbert (Chad Denton) of Rutland, Jaime (Rorey) Faraon of Mount Holly, N.J., Tyler Gilbert and Ryan Gilbert of Rutland; as well as her beloved dog, Belle, and many cousins.
She was predeceased by her husband, James A. Gilbert, in 1985.
Friends may call from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, November 19, 2013, at the Durfee Funeral Home, 119 North Main St., Fair Haven, Vt.
Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday, November 20, 2013, at Our Lady of Seven Dolors Church. Burial will be in Cedar Grove Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Our Lady of Seven Dolors Church, 10 Washington St., Fair Haven, VT 05743; or to the Rutland County Humane Society Inc., 765 Stevens Road, Pittsford, VT 05763.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.