Man faces felony count of heroin possessionNovember 15,2013MANCHESTER — A local man is facing a felony charge of possession of heroin, which police said they found while searching for a 17-year-old girl who had been reported missing Tuesday.
Lamar James, 23, of Manchester, pleaded innocent to the charge in Bennington criminal court Wednesday. He is currently being held at the Rutland jail on $10,000 bail.
In an affidavit, Cpl. James Blanchard of the Manchester Police Department said a man came to the Manchester police station Tuesday around 11 p.m. to report that his daughter had not been home in two days.
The man said he had talked to some of his daughter’s friends and believed she was at a Depot Street motel in Manchester with James. The man also told police that his daughter’s friends believed James was a “known drug dealer,” which caused him to be worried about his daughter’s safety.
With Sgt. Josh Epstein, of the Winhall Police Department, Blanchard went to the motel where they found the girl, who they recognized from a photo supplied by her father, in a room with James.
Epstein saw what he believed to be a bag of marijuana in an open desk drawer.
James gave police permission to search the room, according to Blanchard. In the search, Epstein found 16 bags of what police believed was heroin.
Epstein said he also found “multiple” empty bags in a trash can that once contained heroin.
The bags were labeled “Black Magic.” Blanchard said the contents of one of the bags were field-tested and returned a positive indication that what was inside was heroin.
The estimated total weight of the alleged heroin was about 510 milligrams.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.