City man denies domestic assaultNovember 15,2013City man denies
A Rutland man who allegedly grabbed a woman by the throat and smothered her during a fight on Curtis Avenue denied a felony charge of domestic assault on Wednesday.
Justin K. Farnham, 29, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to a charge of aggravated domestic assault in the first degree. Farnham, who was jailed Tuesday night, was released after his arraignment Wednesday on a $5,000 unsecured appearance bond. Judge Theresa DiMauro also imposed a 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew for Farnham.
Rutland police say they arrested Farnham after a woman locked herself in her car outside Farnhamís apartment at 24 Curtis Ave. and called for help.
The woman told police that she came to Farnhamís apartment to retrieve some clothes. When Farnham insisted that he burnt them, she said she began throwing his clothes on the floor.
Farnham then allegedly grabbed the woman by the throat and heaved her into a wall. The woman said she tried to punch him but Farnham allegedly threw her onto a bed and put his hand over her nose and mouth so she couldnít breathe.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.