City man denies domestic assaultNovember 15,2013City man denies
A Rutland man who allegedly grabbed a woman by the throat and smothered her during a fight on Curtis Avenue denied a felony charge of domestic assault on Wednesday.
Justin K. Farnham, 29, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to a charge of aggravated domestic assault in the first degree. Farnham, who was jailed Tuesday night, was released after his arraignment Wednesday on a $5,000 unsecured appearance bond. Judge Theresa DiMauro also imposed a 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew for Farnham.
Rutland police say they arrested Farnham after a woman locked herself in her car outside Farnhamís apartment at 24 Curtis Ave. and called for help.
The woman told police that she came to Farnhamís apartment to retrieve some clothes. When Farnham insisted that he burnt them, she said she began throwing his clothes on the floor.
Farnham then allegedly grabbed the woman by the throat and heaved her into a wall. The woman said she tried to punch him but Farnham allegedly threw her onto a bed and put his hand over her nose and mouth so she couldnít breathe.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.