City man denies domestic assaultNovember 15,2013City man denies
A Rutland man who allegedly grabbed a woman by the throat and smothered her during a fight on Curtis Avenue denied a felony charge of domestic assault on Wednesday.
Justin K. Farnham, 29, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to a charge of aggravated domestic assault in the first degree. Farnham, who was jailed Tuesday night, was released after his arraignment Wednesday on a $5,000 unsecured appearance bond. Judge Theresa DiMauro also imposed a 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew for Farnham.
Rutland police say they arrested Farnham after a woman locked herself in her car outside Farnhamís apartment at 24 Curtis Ave. and called for help.
The woman told police that she came to Farnhamís apartment to retrieve some clothes. When Farnham insisted that he burnt them, she said she began throwing his clothes on the floor.
Farnham then allegedly grabbed the woman by the throat and heaved her into a wall. The woman said she tried to punch him but Farnham allegedly threw her onto a bed and put his hand over her nose and mouth so she couldnít breathe.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bad crash in Rutland Town sends driver to hospital, natural gas pipeline get support from Addison County Planning Commission.