Vt. man found competent for NH hotel stabbing trialNovember 15,2013NORTH HAVERHILL, N.H. - A Vermont man charged with killing a private school trustee at a New Hampshire hotel has been found competent to stand trial.
WMUR-TV reported that a Grafton County judge's ruling Thursday on Rodney Hill was based on a report from a state doctor who examined Hill. Prosecutors and defense attorneys agreed on the findings.
The West Danville man was indicted in June in the stabbing death of 70-year-old Catherine Houghton of California in the lobby of the Hampton Inn in Littleton in January.
Houghton, a 1960 graduate of the White Mountain School in Bethlehem, was in town for meetings of the school's board of trustees and had checked into the hotel.
Prosecutors say that Houghton and Hill didn't know one another and the attack appears to have been random.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.