Vt. man found competent for NH hotel stabbing trialNovember 15,2013NORTH HAVERHILL, N.H. - A Vermont man charged with killing a private school trustee at a New Hampshire hotel has been found competent to stand trial.
WMUR-TV reported that a Grafton County judge's ruling Thursday on Rodney Hill was based on a report from a state doctor who examined Hill. Prosecutors and defense attorneys agreed on the findings.
The West Danville man was indicted in June in the stabbing death of 70-year-old Catherine Houghton of California in the lobby of the Hampton Inn in Littleton in January.
Houghton, a 1960 graduate of the White Mountain School in Bethlehem, was in town for meetings of the school's board of trustees and had checked into the hotel.
Prosecutors say that Houghton and Hill didn't know one another and the attack appears to have been random.MORE IN This Just InBig movie day at Town Hall Theater Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Fracking linked to 100-fold increase in Oklahoma earthquakes.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Roswell: Weather balloon, invasion from outer space or primitive spy op? You decide. Francis Gary Powers faces the music on this day and it's Russian pop hits, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross born this day and the Mahatma eschews violence.