Vt. man found competent for NH hotel stabbing trialNovember 15,2013NORTH HAVERHILL, N.H. - A Vermont man charged with killing a private school trustee at a New Hampshire hotel has been found competent to stand trial.
WMUR-TV reported that a Grafton County judge's ruling Thursday on Rodney Hill was based on a report from a state doctor who examined Hill. Prosecutors and defense attorneys agreed on the findings.
The West Danville man was indicted in June in the stabbing death of 70-year-old Catherine Houghton of California in the lobby of the Hampton Inn in Littleton in January.
Houghton, a 1960 graduate of the White Mountain School in Bethlehem, was in town for meetings of the school's board of trustees and had checked into the hotel.
Prosecutors say that Houghton and Hill didn't know one another and the attack appears to have been random.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.