West Rutland man accused of DUI 5November 13,2013West Rutland man
accused of DUI 5
BENNINGTON — A West Rutland man, who told a judge he lives in his truck, is facing his fifth charge of driving under the influence of alcohol.
John F. Swan, 45, pleaded innocent in Bennington criminal court Tuesday to two felony counts related to driving under the influence of alcohol.
According to court records, Swan was previously convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol in May 1989, July 1991 and November 1994 in Vermont and in April 1987 in New York.
In an affidavit, Officer Robert Murawski, of the Bennington Police Department, said he was dispatched to a Route 7, near Exit 2, on Nov. 8 around 10:25 p.m., because of reports that someone was driving erratically. Police stopped Swan, who was driving a 1972 Chevrolet truck, on Route 7 after seeing him fail to stay in his lane of traffic, the affidavit said.
Swan’s blood-alcohol level was measured at 0.107 percent around 10:45 p.m., police said. The legal limit in Vermont is 0.08 percent.
Swan was released without bail but ordered not to drive unless he has a valid license.
Frederick Bragdon, who represented Swan, said he expected there was going to be some issue in the case whether it was Swan or Swan’s sister who was actually driving at the time.MORE IN This Just InDearest farm, with your well-worked fields full of food, I love you. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.