Early-morning fire destroys Springfield barnStaff Report | November 13,2013Len Emery Photo
Smoke billows above a residence on Parker Hill Road in Springfield Wednesday morning.An early morning structure fire on Parker Hill Road in Springfield Wednesday morning had firefighters battling a large barn and connecting outbuildings in a blaze that called crews from as far away as Ludlow.
According to reports on the scene, the fire began in an extension of the residence and spread to the barn, which housed the fine woodworking business of David Heinz, who had moved to the home in July of 2000 and established his business.
The house is still standing, but the barn is likely a total loss, and it is probably not insured.
Fire crews from Charlestown, Rockingham, Chester, Ascutney and Proctorsville assisted in putting out the stubborn fire.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.