Rolland L. BeckerNovember 08,2013
Rolland L. BeckerRolland L. Becker
BENNINGTON ó Rolland Lewis Becker, 82, died Wednesday, Nov. 6, 2013, at the Berkshire Medical Center.
He was born Nov. 16, 1930, in Bennington, the son of Elbert and Caroline (Stratton) Becker. He received his education in Bennington.
On July 4, 1953, he married the former Barbara Mattison at St. Peterís Episcopal Church in Bennington. She died Feb. 4, 2010.
In earlier years, he was employed at Coopers Machine, and for 27 years he was employed as a lathe operator at Bijur Lubricating Company, retiring in 1993.
He enjoyed the outdoors and hunting.
Survivors include three sons: Kevin L. Becker and Craig M. Becker, both of Bennington, and Clifford R. Becker of Hoosick Falls, N.Y.; three grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.
The funeral will be held Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013, at 11 a.m. from the Shaftsbury United Methodist Church, with the Rev. Richard McSherry and Kenneth Coonradt, officiating.
Burial will be in White Chapel Cemetery.
Friends may call at the church Saturday, Nov. 9, from 10 a.m. until the time of the service.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Southwestern Vermont Regional Cancer Center and/or the Dialysis Unit at Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, through the Mahar and Son Funeral Home, 628 Main St., Bennington, VT 05201.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Jim Jeffords' legacy, Brandon takes a few questions about proposed budget, beleaguered city playground likely to move, woman awakes to find strange man with knives standing at her bedside.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Former U.S. Senator James Jeffords dies Monday in Washington D.C., a local man is beaten and robbed while walking on West Street, Clarendon sets a tax rate and Brandon convenes an informational public meeting about its budget.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1915, the New York World publishes scoop: Thom. Edison diverts chemical from war production to help German pharmaceutical company make aspirin; on this day in 1935, Will Rogers, Wiley Post die in Alaska plane crash.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State panel briefed on smuggling drugs into prisons; new French-German documentary about Vermont's heroin addiction; solar project at Vets Home falls apart; update dispute between Open Door Mission and treatment center.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Climatologists might not know as much about El Nino as they thought they knew. New studies show 10,000 years ago, El Nino was active, and polar ice sheets were rapidly melting — just like today.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State colleges get a budget cut break, vandals spray paint Wallingford basketball court, state's attorney will replace lost deputies, cop lawsuit proceeds, Mendon mini-golf proposal makes headway.