Police: Man using drugs crashes carNovember 04,2013POWNAL — Vermont State Police said a local man was under the influence of drugs when he crashed a stolen car Saturday afternoon.
Police said 35-year-old Anthony Barbiero was illegally in possession of prescription medication and marijuana when he drove a 1998 Ford Escort station wagon off the east side of Cedar Hill Road and struck several trees. Police said Barbiero had taken the car without the owner’s consent.
According to police, Barbiero was not wearing his seat belt. He was taken to Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, police said. His condition was not available Sunday.
Police said that while at the hospital, a drug recognition expert with state police screened Barbiero and determined he was under the influence of drugs at the time of his crash.
Barbiero is facing charges of driving under the influence, driving a car without the owner’s consent, careless or negligent driving, as well as civil tickets for marijuana possession and driving with an expired license.
He is scheduled to answer those charges Jan. 6 in Bennington criminal court.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.