Police: Man using drugs crashes carNovember 04,2013POWNAL — Vermont State Police said a local man was under the influence of drugs when he crashed a stolen car Saturday afternoon.
Police said 35-year-old Anthony Barbiero was illegally in possession of prescription medication and marijuana when he drove a 1998 Ford Escort station wagon off the east side of Cedar Hill Road and struck several trees. Police said Barbiero had taken the car without the owner’s consent.
According to police, Barbiero was not wearing his seat belt. He was taken to Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, police said. His condition was not available Sunday.
Police said that while at the hospital, a drug recognition expert with state police screened Barbiero and determined he was under the influence of drugs at the time of his crash.
Barbiero is facing charges of driving under the influence, driving a car without the owner’s consent, careless or negligent driving, as well as civil tickets for marijuana possession and driving with an expired license.
He is scheduled to answer those charges Jan. 6 in Bennington criminal court.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.