Police: Man using drugs crashes carNovember 04,2013POWNAL — Vermont State Police said a local man was under the influence of drugs when he crashed a stolen car Saturday afternoon.
Police said 35-year-old Anthony Barbiero was illegally in possession of prescription medication and marijuana when he drove a 1998 Ford Escort station wagon off the east side of Cedar Hill Road and struck several trees. Police said Barbiero had taken the car without the owner’s consent.
According to police, Barbiero was not wearing his seat belt. He was taken to Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, police said. His condition was not available Sunday.
Police said that while at the hospital, a drug recognition expert with state police screened Barbiero and determined he was under the influence of drugs at the time of his crash.
Barbiero is facing charges of driving under the influence, driving a car without the owner’s consent, careless or negligent driving, as well as civil tickets for marijuana possession and driving with an expired license.
He is scheduled to answer those charges Jan. 6 in Bennington criminal court.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.