Police: Man using drugs crashes carNovember 04,2013POWNAL — Vermont State Police said a local man was under the influence of drugs when he crashed a stolen car Saturday afternoon.
Police said 35-year-old Anthony Barbiero was illegally in possession of prescription medication and marijuana when he drove a 1998 Ford Escort station wagon off the east side of Cedar Hill Road and struck several trees. Police said Barbiero had taken the car without the owner’s consent.
According to police, Barbiero was not wearing his seat belt. He was taken to Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, police said. His condition was not available Sunday.
Police said that while at the hospital, a drug recognition expert with state police screened Barbiero and determined he was under the influence of drugs at the time of his crash.
Barbiero is facing charges of driving under the influence, driving a car without the owner’s consent, careless or negligent driving, as well as civil tickets for marijuana possession and driving with an expired license.
He is scheduled to answer those charges Jan. 6 in Bennington criminal court.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: On Jan. 31, 2002, Berkshire Armored Car Co. in Rutland's Howe Center was robbed of $1.9 million. Brent Curtis reports some of the surprising details he found in 10 years of FBI investigation files in a 5-part Herald series.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1835, deranged house painter attempts to kill Pres. Andrew Jackson; in 1969, Beatles play last live public performance on roof of Apple Corps building, London; in 1935, poet Richard Brautigan born in Tacoma, Washington.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Maple syrup standards revised to match international standards; city must decide how best to use $300K in leftover sewer project money; Bryanna Allen reports on funding proposal for solar projects; local agency gets HUD money.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1393, quick thinking teen girl saves King Charles IV of France from burning alive at masquerade ball; in 1760, Vermont town of Pownal created by N.H. Gov. Benning Wentworth; Canuplin, Filipino movie star, born.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day, 1700, Cascadia Earthquake, Magnitude 9 plus, strikes West Coast with tsunami effects felt as far away as Japan; in 1885, troops loyal to Sudanese Mohammad Ahmad conquer Khartoum; in 1992, Boris Yeltsin untargets U.S.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 971 AD, Southern Han war elephant corps defeated by Song Dynasty troops bowmen; in 1870, Montana, Marias massacre, U.S. kills 173 Native Americans; in 1941, Charles Lindbergh recommends neutrality pact with Nazis.