Vt. doctor honored 2 years after restrictionsOctober 31,2013Doctor lauded for
40 years’ service
BRATTLEBORO — A former surgeon in Brattleboro who had restrictions put on his medical license by the state Board of Medical Practice has received the highest honor from the Vermont Medical Society.
Dr. John Bookwalter received this year’s Distinguished Service Award from the society in recognition of nearly 40 years of medical service, and for his innovation in developing surgical tools that are now used around the world.
The Brattleboro Reformer reported he had restrictions put on his medical license in October 2011 following an investigation by the Vermont Board of Medical Practice into his treatment of obesity with medicines that weren’t prescribed for weight loss.
Bookwalter never disputed the treatment. He argued against the methods of the investigation.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.