Vt. doctor honored 2 years after restrictionsOctober 31,2013Doctor lauded for
40 years’ service
BRATTLEBORO — A former surgeon in Brattleboro who had restrictions put on his medical license by the state Board of Medical Practice has received the highest honor from the Vermont Medical Society.
Dr. John Bookwalter received this year’s Distinguished Service Award from the society in recognition of nearly 40 years of medical service, and for his innovation in developing surgical tools that are now used around the world.
The Brattleboro Reformer reported he had restrictions put on his medical license in October 2011 following an investigation by the Vermont Board of Medical Practice into his treatment of obesity with medicines that weren’t prescribed for weight loss.
Bookwalter never disputed the treatment. He argued against the methods of the investigation.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.