Driver accused of negligence in Vt. accidentOctober 31,2013The Associated Press
NEWPORT - A woman has been accused of negligence behind the wheel that caused the death of a motorcyclist in Vermont last summer.
Anne Lyons of New Hyde Park, N.Y., pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Orleans Superior Court to a misdemeanor count of careless or negligent operation.
The 78-year-old Lyons is accused of causing the death of 37-year-old Daniel Sanderson on Route 5A in Westmore.
Lyons told state police she was traveling north the night of Aug. 30 when she slowed down and then stopped to make a left turn.
She said Sanderson was traveling south and slowed down before she turned. Daryl Daigneault of Amesbury, Mass., who was traveling behind Lyons, told police that Lyons turned suddenly, leaving Sanderson nowhere to go but into her vehicle.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 971 AD, Southern Han war elephant corps defeated by Song Dynasty troops bowmen; in 1870, Montana, Marias massacre, U.S. kills 173 Native Americans; in 1941, Charles Lindbergh recommends neutrality pact with Nazis.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bryanna Allen reports Castleton Downtown hosts open house, fire in Springfield leaves family without a roof of their own, suspected Bosnian war criminal trial goes to jury, Brent Curtis reports Rutland Town budget set to rise.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bill in Legislature proposes naming beagle Vermont state dog; Associated Press looks back at year in opiate abuse; Shapiro's in Brandon soon to close after 75 years; probe shows illegal online gun sales booming.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1861, JEFFERSON DAVIS resigns from the U.S. Senate to become president of the Confederate States of America, in 1908, NYC passes law forbidding women from smoking in public; in 1968, B-52 crashes, loses H-bomb.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Aldermen debate request for $75K from Zamias Fund for Wonderfeet museum, Bryanna Allen covers CSC Spring Convocation, proponents of sugary drinks tax meet press at State House, Neal Goswami reports revenue forecast for state.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Oil prices continue to drop, good news for Vermonters who heat their homes with the stuff; Pawlet man still missing after one year, icy road make driving and walking sketchy propositions, funding for B&G Clubs announced.