Driver accused of negligence in Vt. accidentOctober 31,2013The Associated Press
NEWPORT - A woman has been accused of negligence behind the wheel that caused the death of a motorcyclist in Vermont last summer.
Anne Lyons of New Hyde Park, N.Y., pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Orleans Superior Court to a misdemeanor count of careless or negligent operation.
The 78-year-old Lyons is accused of causing the death of 37-year-old Daniel Sanderson on Route 5A in Westmore.
Lyons told state police she was traveling north the night of Aug. 30 when she slowed down and then stopped to make a left turn.
She said Sanderson was traveling south and slowed down before she turned. Daryl Daigneault of Amesbury, Mass., who was traveling behind Lyons, told police that Lyons turned suddenly, leaving Sanderson nowhere to go but into her vehicle.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.