Driver accused of negligence in Vt. accidentOctober 31,2013The Associated Press
NEWPORT - A woman has been accused of negligence behind the wheel that caused the death of a motorcyclist in Vermont last summer.
Anne Lyons of New Hyde Park, N.Y., pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Orleans Superior Court to a misdemeanor count of careless or negligent operation.
The 78-year-old Lyons is accused of causing the death of 37-year-old Daniel Sanderson on Route 5A in Westmore.
Lyons told state police she was traveling north the night of Aug. 30 when she slowed down and then stopped to make a left turn.
She said Sanderson was traveling south and slowed down before she turned. Daryl Daigneault of Amesbury, Mass., who was traveling behind Lyons, told police that Lyons turned suddenly, leaving Sanderson nowhere to go but into her vehicle.MORE IN This Just InBAGHDAD — Attacks across Iraq, including a series of bombings targeting shoppers in a Sunni... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.