Driver accused of negligence in Vt. accidentOctober 31,2013The Associated Press
NEWPORT - A woman has been accused of negligence behind the wheel that caused the death of a motorcyclist in Vermont last summer.
Anne Lyons of New Hyde Park, N.Y., pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Orleans Superior Court to a misdemeanor count of careless or negligent operation.
The 78-year-old Lyons is accused of causing the death of 37-year-old Daniel Sanderson on Route 5A in Westmore.
Lyons told state police she was traveling north the night of Aug. 30 when she slowed down and then stopped to make a left turn.
She said Sanderson was traveling south and slowed down before she turned. Daryl Daigneault of Amesbury, Mass., who was traveling behind Lyons, told police that Lyons turned suddenly, leaving Sanderson nowhere to go but into her vehicle.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.