Walter B. Read Sr.October 28,2013
Walter B. Read Sr.Walter B. Read Sr.
MANCHESTER CENTER — Walter B. Read Sr., a resident of The Pines at Rutland, Vermont, and formerly of East Dorset, passed away Thursday, October 24, 2013, at Rutland Regional Medical Center.
Walter was born in Warren, Rhode Island, on March 25, 1914, the son of Frank V. and Clara (Tanner) Read. Upon moving to Vermont, Walter attended Dorset schools and graduated from Burr & Burton Seminary. Walter was a builder and contractor all of his working career.
Walter was very instrumental in starting the Vermont Fire School. He was the East Dorset fire chief for many years and was a lifetime member of the International Service of Fire Chiefs, the New England Association of Fire Chiefs, the Vermont Fire Chiefs and the Vermont Firefighters Association.
Walter is survived by his sons, Walter B. Read Jr. and his wife Roberta of East Dorset, Thomas Read of Tamarack, Florida, and Roland Read and his wife Chong of Colorado; brother James W. Read of Burns, Wyoming; and his grandchildren, Michael, Christopher, David, Angela and CJ. He was preceded in death by his wife, Helen Read, who passed away in 2001.
Funeral services for Walter will be held Wednesday, October 30, 2013, at 1 p.m. at Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont. Rev. Larry Jenney of the East Dorset Congregational Church will officiate. Interment will follow in the family lot in South Village Cemetery in East Dorset. Visiting hours will be held Tuesday evening, October 29, 2013, from 6-8 p.m. at Brewster and Shea Funeral Service, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont, when the family will be in attendance.
If friends desire, memorial gifts in Walter’s memory may be made to the Manchester Rescue Squad or the Dorset Nurse’s Association, c/o Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, PO Box 885, Manchester Center, VT 05255.
To send the family personal email condolences, please visit www.sheafuneralhomes.com.
The family has entrusted arrangements to the care of Brewster & Shea Funeral Home, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Jim Jeffords' legacy, Brandon takes a few questions about proposed budget, beleaguered city playground likely to move, woman awakes to find strange man with knives standing at her bedside.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Former U.S. Senator James Jeffords dies Monday in Washington D.C., a local man is beaten and robbed while walking on West Street, Clarendon sets a tax rate and Brandon convenes an informational public meeting about its budget.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1915, the New York World publishes scoop: Thom. Edison diverts chemical from war production to help German pharmaceutical company make aspirin; on this day in 1935, Will Rogers, Wiley Post die in Alaska plane crash.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State panel briefed on smuggling drugs into prisons; new French-German documentary about Vermont's heroin addiction; solar project at Vets Home falls apart; update dispute between Open Door Mission and treatment center.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Climatologists might not know as much about El Nino as they thought they knew. New studies show 10,000 years ago, El Nino was active, and polar ice sheets were rapidly melting — just like today.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State colleges get a budget cut break, vandals spray paint Wallingford basketball court, state's attorney will replace lost deputies, cop lawsuit proceeds, Mendon mini-golf proposal makes headway.