Walter B. Read Sr.October 28,2013
Walter B. Read Sr.Walter B. Read Sr.
MANCHESTER CENTER — Walter B. Read Sr., a resident of The Pines at Rutland, Vermont, and formerly of East Dorset, passed away Thursday, October 24, 2013, at Rutland Regional Medical Center.
Walter was born in Warren, Rhode Island, on March 25, 1914, the son of Frank V. and Clara (Tanner) Read. Upon moving to Vermont, Walter attended Dorset schools and graduated from Burr & Burton Seminary. Walter was a builder and contractor all of his working career.
Walter was very instrumental in starting the Vermont Fire School. He was the East Dorset fire chief for many years and was a lifetime member of the International Service of Fire Chiefs, the New England Association of Fire Chiefs, the Vermont Fire Chiefs and the Vermont Firefighters Association.
Walter is survived by his sons, Walter B. Read Jr. and his wife Roberta of East Dorset, Thomas Read of Tamarack, Florida, and Roland Read and his wife Chong of Colorado; brother James W. Read of Burns, Wyoming; and his grandchildren, Michael, Christopher, David, Angela and CJ. He was preceded in death by his wife, Helen Read, who passed away in 2001.
Funeral services for Walter will be held Wednesday, October 30, 2013, at 1 p.m. at Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont. Rev. Larry Jenney of the East Dorset Congregational Church will officiate. Interment will follow in the family lot in South Village Cemetery in East Dorset. Visiting hours will be held Tuesday evening, October 29, 2013, from 6-8 p.m. at Brewster and Shea Funeral Service, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont, when the family will be in attendance.
If friends desire, memorial gifts in Walter’s memory may be made to the Manchester Rescue Squad or the Dorset Nurse’s Association, c/o Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, PO Box 885, Manchester Center, VT 05255.
To send the family personal email condolences, please visit www.sheafuneralhomes.com.
The family has entrusted arrangements to the care of Brewster & Shea Funeral Home, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.