Walter B. Read Sr.October 28,2013
Walter B. Read Sr.Walter B. Read Sr.
MANCHESTER CENTER — Walter B. Read Sr., a resident of The Pines at Rutland, Vermont, and formerly of East Dorset, passed away Thursday, October 24, 2013, at Rutland Regional Medical Center.
Walter was born in Warren, Rhode Island, on March 25, 1914, the son of Frank V. and Clara (Tanner) Read. Upon moving to Vermont, Walter attended Dorset schools and graduated from Burr & Burton Seminary. Walter was a builder and contractor all of his working career.
Walter was very instrumental in starting the Vermont Fire School. He was the East Dorset fire chief for many years and was a lifetime member of the International Service of Fire Chiefs, the New England Association of Fire Chiefs, the Vermont Fire Chiefs and the Vermont Firefighters Association.
Walter is survived by his sons, Walter B. Read Jr. and his wife Roberta of East Dorset, Thomas Read of Tamarack, Florida, and Roland Read and his wife Chong of Colorado; brother James W. Read of Burns, Wyoming; and his grandchildren, Michael, Christopher, David, Angela and CJ. He was preceded in death by his wife, Helen Read, who passed away in 2001.
Funeral services for Walter will be held Wednesday, October 30, 2013, at 1 p.m. at Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont. Rev. Larry Jenney of the East Dorset Congregational Church will officiate. Interment will follow in the family lot in South Village Cemetery in East Dorset. Visiting hours will be held Tuesday evening, October 29, 2013, from 6-8 p.m. at Brewster and Shea Funeral Service, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont, when the family will be in attendance.
If friends desire, memorial gifts in Walter’s memory may be made to the Manchester Rescue Squad or the Dorset Nurse’s Association, c/o Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, PO Box 885, Manchester Center, VT 05255.
To send the family personal email condolences, please visit www.sheafuneralhomes.com.
The family has entrusted arrangements to the care of Brewster & Shea Funeral Home, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.