Pope Francis subject of talk at St. Michael’sTHE ASSOCIATED PRESS | October 28,2013COLCHESTER — St. Michael’s College this week will play host to an Argentine-born Jesuit priest and professor at Boston College who is described as well-acquainted with the Catholic Church’s newest pope.
Professor Gustavo Morello is delivering a talk on “Argentinean Catholicism and Pope Francis. Who is he and where did he come from?” It’s set for 7 p.m. Thursday at the Dion Family Student Center on the Colchester campus.
On Friday, Morello speaks on “Secularization and the Transformation of Latin American Catholicism.” That talk is set for noon at St. Edmund’s Hall Farrell Room 315.
Morello received his Ph.D. from the Universidad de Buenos Aires in 2011. His research focuses on the relations between Catholics and politics in Argentina and Latin America’s recent history.MORE IN Vermont NewsCOLCHESTER — The Lake Champlain Chamber Music Festival opened Sunday with one of the most... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool