Pope Francis subject of talk at St. Michael’sTHE ASSOCIATED PRESS | October 28,2013COLCHESTER — St. Michael’s College this week will play host to an Argentine-born Jesuit priest and professor at Boston College who is described as well-acquainted with the Catholic Church’s newest pope.
Professor Gustavo Morello is delivering a talk on “Argentinean Catholicism and Pope Francis. Who is he and where did he come from?” It’s set for 7 p.m. Thursday at the Dion Family Student Center on the Colchester campus.
On Friday, Morello speaks on “Secularization and the Transformation of Latin American Catholicism.” That talk is set for noon at St. Edmund’s Hall Farrell Room 315.
Morello received his Ph.D. from the Universidad de Buenos Aires in 2011. His research focuses on the relations between Catholics and politics in Argentina and Latin America’s recent history.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.