Homeless man accused of taking college student’s guitarOctober 26,2013Police: Homeless
man stole a guitar
BENNINGTON — A homeless man who told police he had been living in a tent on the campus of Bennington College for the past three weeks pleaded innocent Friday to stealing a guitar from a student.
Shaun A. Gibbens, 22, was arraigned on the felony grand larceny charge in Bennington criminal court. He was released without bail but banned from the college campus.
Bennington Police Cpl. Christopher Lauzon wrote in an affidavit that a student reported Wednesday that his guitar, worth about $2,000, had been stolen.
The next day, the owner of a Bennington music store told police a man brought in a guitar and was asking about its value. Lauzon said he got to the store while Gibbens was there.
Gibbens said he was given the guitar by a woman at a church in North Bennington, the officer wrote. Gibbens told Lauzon he just wanted to get home to Sacramento, Calif., and had come to Bennington to visit his girlfriend, a Bennington College student who knew the guitar’s owner.
“Shaun then stated: ‘This doesn’t look good for me.’ I told him I agreed with his statement and provided him with the opportunity to tell me the truth,” Lauzon said.
Gibbens then admitted to taking the guitar, the affidavit said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.