BURLINGTON — The Vermont office of the United States attorney says a 42-year-old Florida man has pleaded guilty to fraud conspiracy.
Prosecutors say Craig Lee Workman entered the plea Thursday in U.S. District Court in Burlington.
Prosecutors say Workman used identification information belonging to others to file false income tax returns under their names, claiming tax refunds.
Officials say he filed about 125 false claims and received 25 refunds, fraudulently receiving about $180,000.
Prosecutors say that in April 2011 Workman and his spouse visited five tax preparation offices in Vermont and New Hampshire. In each they sought assistance filing tax returns for others, whom they described as incarcerated family members.
Workman faces up to 10 years in prison.
Workman’s attorney declined to comment Friday.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.