Man acquitted in domestic assault trialOctober 24,2013Man acquitted of
BENNINGTON ó A local man was acquitted of a felony count of domestic assault after a jury trial Wednesday.
Dana J. Pratt, 21, was arraigned in July in Bennington criminal court on a felony count of second-degree aggravated domestic assault, as well as misdemeanor counts of unlawful mischief and unlawful trespass onto property.
The jury found Pratt innocent of all charges Wednesday.
Police said a woman reported July 16 that Pratt had threatened her with a hammer, tied her wrists with a scarf and broke items in her home.
The woman had been in a seven-year relationship with Pratt and they have a child together.
Pratt still has pending charges of violating conditions of probation after his conviction for a 2012 domestic assault against the same woman in the July 16 incident. He is due back in court in November.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.