New road in Rutland Town could alleviate Route 7 trafficBy Courtney Parker
STAFF WRITER | October 21,2013Rutland Town officials are looking into options to locate a new town road near the recently opened Aldi discount supermarket chain store.
The goal of the project — still in its infancy — is to alleviate congestion off Route 7.
“It’s still just a concept at this point.” said Town Road Commissioner Byron Hathaway. But, he added, he sees the benefits of the new road and believes the additional traffic could work to the advantage of side road businesses.
One of the route options discussed was connecting Farrell Road to the Cold River Road traffic light, with an intersection into Randbury Road.
According to Town Administrator Joe Zingale, there are still many steps that would need to be taken before the road could become a reality, including various traffic studies, grant applications and board approval.
Select Board member Don Chioffi said he is in favor of the new road. Chioffi said it is the responsibility of the town to do their part to take pressure and traffic off Route 7. He said he views the Farrell Road extension as a way to provide additional driving routes, as well as attract patrons to local businesses.
“My view is that it is a positive step for the town and town businesses,” he said. “We have a responsibility to provide for those people in our commercial base.”
Chioffi added that in previous discussions, fellow board members have supported similar infrastructure improvements, and this project is no different.
Currently no action has been taken by the board, but several discussions on the road have taken place.
“These things don’t just happen overnight,” Chioffi said. “When it does come to the board, my vote will be for it.”MORE IN This Just InBAGHDAD — Attacks across Iraq, including a series of bombings targeting shoppers in a Sunni... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.