Patriots place LB Jerod Mayo on injured reserveThe ASSOCIATED PRESS | October 17,2013AP PHOTO
Patriots outside linebacker Jerod Mayo lies injured after a tackle Sunday. Mayo suffered a season-ending injury on the play.FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — New England linebacker Jerod Mayo will miss the rest of the season with the latest serious injury to a Patriots defensive star.
The team placed the two-time Pro Bowl player on injured reserve Wednesday, three days after he was hurt in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s 30-27 win over the New Orleans Saints.
Mayo joins defensive tackle Vince Wilfork on IR. Wilfork tore his right Achilles tendon Sept. 29 in a 30-23 win over the Atlanta Falcons. He and Mayo are defensive co-captains.
After tackling Darren Sproles on Sunday, Mayo got up and reached for the upper right area of his chest. Mayo’s agent, Mitch Frankel, did not respond to a request for comment on a report that Mayo had undergone surgery for a torn chest muscle. Rookie Jamie Collins, the Patriots’ first-round draft choice, and Dane Fletcher are expected to fill in for Mayo, who has missed just five regular-season games.
Mayo is the NFL’s leading tackler since 2010 with 546 and has led the Patriots in tackles in each of his five seasons.
“I think I’ve been on record many times talking about Jerod,” coach Bill Belichick said. “He does a lot for us on the field, off the field. But we’re just going to have to move on.”
The Patriots also announced that they re-signed defensive tackle Andre Neblett and signed cornerback Travis Howard to the practice squad.MORE IN Wire SportsEAST LANSING, Mich. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.